I am alive, and well. I didn’t mean to disappear, I just got overwhelmed with life and not being used to blogging, I just didn’t get to it. Here I am though, and still figuring out my niche!
Today, I had a surprise day off from work and I planned to rest (I had an insane week, driving all over southern california and catching up with a lot of friends)! I ended up doing so much:
- 1800 yard swim
- TJ’s shopping trip (they FINALLY have Pumpkin Butter out here in the land of heat and no Fall)
- 3.5 mile run
- Baking (Pumpkin Wheat Rolls)
- Yoga and Yogurt with my Mom
It was all great! My mom and I have started a tradition of going to yoga on Monday nights and getting frozen yogurt afterward. I really like this class. It’s a power yoga and just feels so good. Tonight especially was fantastic. The pumpkin wheat rolls I made were pretty good! It was my first attempt at anything needing yeast. They turned out well. They don’t taste anything like pumpkin, but had a pretty orange color! And they are great with TJ’s pumpkin butter.
Pumpkin Wheat Rolls
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and stir in sugar, salt, 1/2 cup butter, pumpkin and eggs. Add 3 cups of the flour and beat well. Stir in enough additional flour to make dough easy to handle. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, covered, and allow to double in size.
- Punch down, and divide into 4 parts, rolling each into a 12-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Roll up each wedge beginning at wide edge. Or roll into 8 balls (this is how I like them). Place on greased sheet and allow to rise. Brush buttermilk (or melted butter) on each roll.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15-20 minutes.
*Pictures tomorrow hopefully!
I almost forgot! This weekend I played in my first football game of the season! At school I played on an intramural team and they let alumni play, and we were playing our big rivals so I had to make the 90 mile drive up there for the game! (I drove up the night before and hung out with my best friend.) Well we lost and honestly didn’t play very well, but it was fun to be out there again! I am so sore though! It’s amazing the different muscles that football uses. I play defensive linebacker and offensive line. My strategy is that I look small and un-intimidating, but I can hold my own. I just love it so much, even when I get crazy injuries like this one:
I got an elbow and a fingernail to the eye. You can’t tell too well here, but I had a real good shiner and my face was sliced open. The EMT at school sent me to urgent care because it wouldn’t stop bleeding. All for the love of the game! That was my first one, and I was hooked. It’s good to be playing again! And Sunday I had some yummy Thai food after the game.
Well congrats on finishing your Monday! I hope you all have a great week!